Your Dashboard Art Jumble's RSS Art Jumble on Twitter Art Jumble on Facebook

Monday, January 17, 2011

Flight - and my insane childhood risk taking

No matter how old you are - tie a blanket around your neck and you're guaranteed the ability to fly!

We all know that parents are terrified of their kids taking this idea too far and climbing up onto the roof to test out their new cape. Of course we all think: "What kid would REALLY do that, though?"
I'm here to tell you that as a youngster I gave my parents legitimate reason for concern. One summer (being a tremendous Spiderman fan) I decided to put on my Spidey Halloween costume and scale the exterior of our apartment building. The architectural design incorporated stones which jutted out like an athlete's rock wall does nowadays.

There I was, nine years old, climbing the outside of an apartment building above an asphalt parking lot with no protection. I guess I'm living proof that not all kids are smart enough to know better. Lol.

Nathanael Lark Blog

4 comments:

ivanka k said...

Haha That's great and great illustration also.

Nathanael Lark said...

Thanks, Ivana!

Rabbit Town Art said...

Hahahahaha! I was a big fan of Spiderman too (until they brought in that clone story and it just lost the plot for me) and who wouldnt love to fly? I definitely tied a cape around my neck and jump as high as I could on the bed....and fell off once. Eep. Anyhoo, great expression and an awesome illustration!

Nathanael Lark said...

@Rabbit Town - Thanks! I love your story about the bed jumping - a totally classic childhood moment!