Your Dashboard Art Jumble's RSS Art Jumble on Twitter Art Jumble on Facebook

Friday, December 31, 2010

My Top 5

I did a lot of drawing this year. I earned my living doing freelance, and lots of commissions. Then I spent my free time on self-publishing, participating in sketch groups (like art jumble!) and drawing fan art. The speed and quality of my work has improved a lot. I'm more confident than ever. I'd say these are the five best pieces I did this year. but if I made the list again tomorrow, it would probably be different!
 #5) Rocket Raccoon- Did this for a sketch challenge in about 45 minutes to an hour.
 #4) Mort and Pugroff from Monsters 101- I might have done other pieces better than this one that didn't make the list... but I just did this one yesterday, so I'm still feeling it!
3) Storm- I actually drew this in January. Still stands up as one of the best drawings I did all year. I can say that I have raised my game so that they don't take nearly as long as this one did anymore, though!
2) This page of Manchild: Birthday Boy chapter two appeared in the fall issue of my magazine GhettoManga Quarterly. I write and draw Manchild myself (as well as editing and self-publishing the magazine), so It isn't perfect, but I'm very proud of it! You can preview and order the magazine on IndyPlanet.
1) Herman Heed- In 2010 I drew (and colored and lettered) two 25-page Herman Heed comics for an educational program company. The comics were made as part of a computer tutoring program to help kids improve their reading level. I am as proud of this work as anything I've ever done! You can read Herman Heed 2: The Case of the Most Valuable Videogame Ever Made over at my Deviant Art Gallery.
Have a GREAT New Year!
-Samax

6 comments:

Pulak said...

pretty unique style!
and a happy new year :)

Samax said...

Thanks, Polly! Happy New Year!

Craig Wilson said...

Great stuff, man! Nice to see you're prolific; I'm Grockin' the Raccoon, personally.

Samax said...

thanks, Craig!

Jason Quinones said...

your stuff always rocks man! great looking comic pages too!

Samax said...

thanks, Jason! I'm looking forward to doing some more comics in the new year!