Your Dashboard Art Jumble's RSS Art Jumble on Twitter Art Jumble on Facebook

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I dreamed a Dream a Childhood dream... and it came true


From the time Ive been five years old i always wanted to be a professional artist.I drew when I was happy, I drew when I was sad, I drew when I was bored, I never seemed to stop drawing, it was like eating , sleeping and breathing, and it's the same way today, so many years later.

I won a slew of awards in kindergarten and in first grade, when i was eight years old, i was approached by an author, Mary Anne Gross, and drew the cover of a book entitled, "Mother, These Are My Friends" . I recieved Financial Royalties for that book everytime itsold and if was just one of the many positive experiences that gave me the confidnce to pursue art as a career.

As a child, It made be feel good to have such a positive effect on people. Ordinarily if you can Do something that others cannot, theres a lot of jealousy involved. Ive found with art and drawing, that wasnt the case. People who couldnt draw seemed to enjoy watching ME do something as much as I did. I made friendships, and even kept bollies off of me. "dont bother HIM he drew me a picture once, " they'd say. It amsxes me that I am blessed enough to get paid for something that Ive done since childhood, and would still do if i wasnt paid a dime.