Your Dashboard Art Jumble's RSS Art Jumble on Twitter Art Jumble on Facebook

Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Week 3: Weird Science



I’ve been meaning to experiment with acrylics for a while and well here it is. Not entirely happy with it but, it is what it is. I scanned it to show the richer colors.

Some detail of the room is accurate - the Talking Heads poster to the right of the door that is ripped, the LIFE board game that they hook the Barbie up on to create "Lisa", the green boobs on the monitor, the Frankenstein movie playing, a bra on the floor because when they clicked 'enter' both the bra's on their heads flew off and of course Kelly LeBrock or “Lisa” in the door way. The rest is just made up… :o)

Created it with a 5 color acrylic set (blue, red, yellow, white and black), #3, #6 and 1" size brushes and some sponges on 8.5 x 11 cold press illustration board (I know hot press warps less, but cold is all I got).



This is my initial sketch; the thought was there at least...

5 comments:

Greg said...

Wow Mark, I have to give you mad props for being brave enough to play around with acrylics. I love all the detail you put into the objects in the room and the images on the monitors. Nice job.

rory said...

Nice! especially the painting , you are a brave man . I actually laughed looking at this , really like the little details .

GaryGepetto said...

Damn Mark, is traditonal media still around?? Did you have to travel back in time to find acrylics? lol. Looks great!!! I can't believe the attention to detail and the scale of your scenario. What's the word. OH Badasstical!

n!k said...

nice work, geyer... it's amazing this is only 8.5 x 11! it looks huge with the detail!

you should totally paint warhammer figurines...

Mark Geyer said...

Thanks for the comments guys...

Yeah, I had to go buy some supplies from Joann's because all my old stuff was dried out. It's been a long time since I've touched a brush last, after finishing I knew why - it's takes so much patience to get it there (your vision), creating stuff digitally is so much faster and cleaner (soap and water). I'm still not fully happy with it though.

Oh and 'badasstical' is 'bad ass' and 'radical' put together, I'm not sure where I picked that up, but its effective... :o)